David and Nicole came over for dinner a couple nights ago before heading back to Canada. I whipped up a batch of my famous chili, and Nicole asked for the recipe, so here it is. This is a vegan recipe but could easily be carnalized.
- 1 large can of pineapple chunks in juice (not syrup)
- 1 package Melissa’s Soyrizo or similar
- 1 lb firm tofu, cubed
- some olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- several cloves garlic, crushed
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 15 oz can kidney beans (or your favorite bean), undrained
- 12 oz jar mild salsa / picante sauce
- chili powder to taste — 1 TB for mild, 2 for TB moderate, 3 TB for hot
- 1 TB whole cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt
In a large pan, brown tofu in oil, then add soyrizo, then add onion and bell pepper, then add garlic, stirring all the while. When the onion is transparent and the garlic smells good, transfer to large pot, add remaining ingredients, including juice from pineapple, but reserve the pineapple chunks themselves. I like to break the tomatoes up with a spoon while stirring. Simmer for an hour and a half, covered, stirring occasionally. Add pineapple and heat through. Serve with beer and bread.