I’m trying to scrounge up the necessary accouterments for our Mardi Gras costumes.
- Laurel branches: Everyone envisions classical gods and goddesses wearing a wreath of laurels. But where on earth do you find them?
- Sheaves of wheat or barley: Symbolic of Demeter, goddess of the harvest. Again, not sure where I’m going to find these.
- Poppies: Sacred to Demeter. We just picked up a couple poppies at the garden shop, so we should have this one covered.
- Torch: Demeter is often depicted with a torch, symbolic of searching for her daughter. I don’t think we’d want a real torch but a fake one would be nice.
- Sickle or scythe: In lieu of a torch Demeter is sometimes pictured with a sickle, being a harvest goddess and all.
- Golden arm bracelets: Goddesses always seem to wear those.
- Togas and tunics: A sheet and bedspread might be sufficient.
- Lightning bolts: representing Zeus.
- Sandals: Greek gods are always wearing sandals, right?
If you have any idea how I might find, purchase, or manufacture any of these myself, please let me know. Ditto if you think of anything I’ve missed.