We’re extremely fortunate that we did not burn down the house last night.
Xy had just made a couple trays of her famous pseudo-enchiladas. She had a tray baking in the oven when a strange odor began to permeate the kitchen. It smelled like something burning. Perhaps some food remnant crusted on the bottom of the oven?
Nope, turns out it was the particle board in the cabinet next to the stove. It was burning, not an open raging flame, but a slow smoldering burn, blackening the interior, peeling the veneer. Our electric mixer was in there and melted partially. Wow, did it stink.
I think it’s time for a new stove. I’m not sure what caused this problem, but the stove really is very old, maybe 50 years old or so. It’s got a great look, but it’s not in very good shape. If properly restored it could be a really cool antique stove. But I think we’ll just get something new.
Anyway, yesterday was a very lucky day, it seems. We’re lucky Xy caught this before it became more serious. We’re lucky her car pool was able to change up on short notice when the car wouldn’t start.
I celebrated our excessive good fortune with an extra dollop of cognac in my eggnog.