I remarked to Xy a couple weeks ago that I didn’t know who our State Senator was, and then a few days later we got a glossy, full-color mailer that answered the question. Our State Senator, Edwin Murray, wants our feedback on what to do with the Louisiana budget surplus. The mailing includes a postage-paid postcard with the following five options (check all that apply):
- The state should pay for the increased cost of health insurance for retired teachers.
- The state should abolish the Louisiana Recovery Authority.
- The state should terminate the contract with ICF, who administers the Road Home Program.
- The state should bear the burden of fixing the educational system in New Orleans.
- The state should make New Orleans a priority.
There’s also piece that says Please note infrastructure includes police and fire stations, libraries, school, utilities, streets and sidewalks. I’m not sure what the point of this note is, since “infrastructure” is not mentioned in the five options. But there is a space to add my own ideas. Maybe I can write “infrastructure” there.