I was happy that work had begun on our house at long last. But I was also anxious and unsettled for the last couple days. Now I’m feeling better. Much better. Not sure exactly why, but I think it’s a combination of several things.
- I found the lost item I was looking for, a picture from my youth. The demolition crew didn’t junk it after all.
- They pulled all the lath down, so now the basement is really gutted, and you can really start to see the potential for a nice renovation.
- I finally decided to refurbish our existing windows rather than replace them. I believe they are the house’s original windows, so they’ve lasted maybe a hundred years. I would feel like an asshole getting rid of them.
- Mike finally gave me a written estimate. It’s very reasonable.
- Mark, the carpenter, is getting started today. He’ll be replacing the termite-eaten timbers around our basement, including some fairly major structural elements. Here’s hoping our house doesn’t collapse. I think he knows what he’s doing.
Hmmm… Guess I’ve found something new to worry about.